A ‘lost’ horse-drawn Victorian Merryweather fire engine that was part of the Palace’s private fire brigade has returned to Blenheim Palace this Summer to take pride of place as part of our new exhibition in the Palace’s stable yard.
Believed to have been built by Merryweather & Sons in 1890, the horse-drawn engine used a steam boiler to create pressure to pump water. It was mounted on a four-wheeled sprung carriage drawn by horses.
It was originally in operation by the Blenheim Fire Brigade who were operational from the mid to late 1800s through to the Second World War.
Due to ongoing restoration works to the building, the Fire Engine is currently not available to view.