The Long Library is thought to be the second longest room in any house in England.
Originally intended as a picture gallery, it is now home to over 10,000 books collected by the 9th Duke of Marlborough.
As well as portraits of past monarchs, the room houses a number of portraits of members of the Marlborough family. Above the bookcases are portraits of Queen Anne, King William III and the 1st Duke, together with those of three of the Duke's daughters: Elizabeth, Countess of Bridgewater; Anne, Countess of Sunderland, and Mary, Duchess of Montagu.
At the end of the room, the magnificent Willis Organ was installed by the 8th Duke and Duchess in 1891. It bears the inscription: 'In memory of happy days and as a tribute to this glorious home we leave thy voice to speak within these walls in years to come when ours are still.'
This statue of Queen Anne was commissioned by her friend, Sarah, the 1st Duchess of Marlborough, after the Queen had died. In real life she was very short and fat. The sculptor has been kind - here we see the Queen looking tall and slim with a trim waist.
The domes at either end of the room display superb stucco work by Isaac Mansfield, created almost 300 years ago in 1725. The central panels were left empty following Sarah's falling-out with Sir James Thornhill, who painted the ceiling of the Great Hall.
Plan de visite et informations
Karte & Informationen für Besucher
Mapa e información para el visitante
Карта и информация для посетителей