The Battle of Blenheim was won, led by John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough. He was given the Park, Woodstock Manor, and £240,000 to build the Palace as a gift from Queen Anne and a grateful nation.
Blenheim Palace was built, designed by Sir John Vanbrugh. Despite an inscription on the Palace wall stating that it was built between 1705 and 1722, the Chapel (the last part of the Palace to be built) was not consecrated until 1733, 11 years after the death of the 1st Duke.
The Column of Victory was built in the northern part of the Park and stands at 134 feet high. It is crowned by a lead statue of the 1st Duke of Marlborough which depicts him dressed as a Roman general.
The Temple of Diana was designed and built by Sir William Chambers. It was intended to be a small summer house.
Landscape architect Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown was commissioned to re-landscape the more than 2000 acres of surrounding Parkland.
Lady Randolph Churchill, 1874.
The Temple of Health was built. This Corinthian temple was designed by John Yenn and celebrated George III's recovery from illness.
Sir Winston Churchill was born at Blenheim Palace.
The Willis Organ was built, positioned in the central bay of the Long Library. The organ was later moved to the North end of the Library in 1902.
The 9th Duke of Marlborough commissioned landscape architect Achille Duchêne to restore the three-acre forecourt (Great Court) from grass to cobbles and gravel. During this period Duchêne also created an Italian Garden to adorn the East front of the Palace.
Blenheim Palace - Historic house in Oxfordshire and birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill
© 2016 All rights reserved.
Plan de visite et informations
Karte & Informationen für Besucher
Mapa e información para el visitante
Карта и информация для посетителей